Saturday, October 1, 2011

FreeBSD 8.2 i386 X11, XFCE4, sound, Firefox3, and Flash on Samsung NC20

Last time I tried it, I was unable to get Flash Player working on FreeBSD 7.2. I was able to get it working on FreeBSD 8.2 on my Samsung NC20 using the ports system. I didn't try ports last time, but it wasn't as hard as I thought. First I installed X11 (xorg-7.5) and Xfce4. Then I installed Firefox 3.6 from packages and loaded sound.

I installed xorg-7.5 from packages from the FreeBSD 8.2 RELEASE i386 DVD:
mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0 /cdrom
pkg_add /cdrom/packages/All/xorg-7.5.tbz

To configure xorg, I added hald_enabled="YES" and dbus_enabled="YES" to /etc/rc.conf. I restarted and ran Xorg -configure then edited xorg.conf.new to include my screen resolution (Modes 1280x800). To test, I ran X -config /root/xorg.conf.new -retro. Since this worked, I switched to tty1, back to tty0, pressed CTRL+C then copied /root/xorg.conf.new to /etc/X11/xorg.conf (cp xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf).

I couldn't find Xfce4 on the DVD, so I had to get it from the internet. I went with Xfce because I don't like KDE4 or Gnome 3 (I liked Gnome 2 and KDE 3). I might want to try LXDE instead of Xfce.
pkg_add -r xfce4

I restarted and ran startxfce4. I got the latest Firefox I could get from packages:

pkg_add -r firefox

I enabled sound in /boot/loader.conf by adding the line snd_hda_load="YES" then I got the flash plugin from ports (some steps may be out of order):

portsnap fetch
portsnap extract
(if I had ran portsnap extract before, I would have run portsnap update)
cd /usr/ports/www/nspluginwrapper
make
(then I added linux_enable="YES" to /boot/loader.conf, saved, and restarted)
cd /usr/ports/www/nspluginwrapper
make install
make clean
cd /usr/ports/www/linux-f10-flashplugin10
make
make install
make clean
mkdir /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/
ln -s /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/
ln -sv /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so /usr/local/lib/firefox3/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
nspluginwrapper -v -a -i
(nspluginwrapper -v -a -i needs to be run by each user, according to the FreeBSD Handbook)

No comments:

Post a Comment