Saturday, November 28, 2009

Fedora 12 Out of the box

Out of the box, which is to say out of the ISO, Fedora 12 doesn't have many things I want, mainly patent or license encumbered packages or software. It didn't include support for mp3, divx, DVDs, or AC-3. I didn't know how to watch on websites without Adobe Flash (which has Linux support). In Windows, I use WinAmp to play MP3s. In Fedora, I am using Audacious. For mp3s, I needed audacious-plugins-freeworld-mp3 (which needed libmad). For xvid support, I used xvidcore (unsurprisingly). I got the Adobe Flash plug-in from get.adobe.com/flashplayer.

I could get Audacious from Fedora's Add/Remove Software and Flash from Adobe. I had to get the rest from rpmfusion.org. I chose not to add RPMFusion to Fedora's Add/Remove Software because I wanted to know the dependencies. I picked up Linux because I wanted to know how Linux worked.

Audacious needed libmowgli, audacious-libs, lirc-libs, audacious-plugins, libsidplay libbinio, mcs-libs, SDL, libmpcdec, and libcddb. ffmpeg-libs needed faad2-libs, faad2, dirac-libs, libdc1394, gsm, and schroedinger. libquicktime needed lame-libs, ffmpeg-libs, and x264-libs. gstreamer-plugins-bad needed mjpegtools-libs, libmms, libmimic, libdca, libdvdnav, rasqal, lzo-minilzo, libmodplug, raptor, celt, enca, directfb, libmusicbrainz, slv, libkate, tslib, fftw, libdvdread, libofa, redland, libass, libvncserver, postgresql, and libsysfs.

No comments:

Post a Comment